Tweet of The Week (May3rd) - The Spa Party Blog

5.03.2009

Tweet of The Week (May3rd)


I'm pretty new to both blogging and Twitter but must admit in the approximately 3 weeks since I've been at it I've really enjoyed myself, maybe a bit too much (as I'm still trying to find the balance between tweeting about work and actually working). I've found that Twitter is not only good for updating people on mundane tasks, but also for sharing tips, quotes, articles, websites, encouragement, etc.


In order to let blog readers, who may not be on Twitter, in on some of this info, I've decided to start a Tweet of the Week feature. Here's where I'll highlight two tweets, one original post, and something that I've ReTweeted from another Twitter user.


#1: RT @EmpoweringKids You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams." - Robin, age 15 (from http://short.to/3fq6 )


This is my favorite ReTweet this week for three reasons. First it's a good quote, (2) the fact that it was authored by a 15 year makes it that much more poignant. Third, I love that @Empowering Kids included the link to a whole list of quotes by children which definitely put a smile on my face. According to my husband I could really benefit from Robin's advice, which is why I'm really trying to silence any negative talk and jump into this venture feet first.


#2 an @hennergy original: I want to bake my cake and eat it too. Take raw ingredients, turn them into something beautiful, enjoy the fruits of my labor & share it.


I picked this one because not only does it speak for my mindset at this juncture in my existence but the quote could benefit from some explanation.


First off, let me say I've never understood the saying "You can't have your cake and eat it too."

George Carlin once said, "When people say, 'Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too.' What good is a cake you can't eat? What should I eat, someone else's cake instead?".

When I came up with my variation on the familiar phrase I thought that cake is an excellent metaphor for the things which we work for in life. Though I don't want to go it alone like the Little Red Hen, I want to experience the joy in taking an idea, adding my special flavor, and secret ingredients and with some effort turn it into something tangible and sweet. Cake also lends itself to my metaphor because of it's nutritional properties. Cake is among those things in life that is best shared, if one is greedy and eats a whole cake alone their well being suffers for it. So in a way George Carlin may have hit the nail on the head, maybe we should eat pieces of other people's cakes and share pieces of our cakes with them. Cakes are also a symbol of celebration, of the reaching of a milestone of some sort, so when you've achieved the goals you've set for yourself, pause to enjoy a slice of cake before reaching even higher, and baking a more delicious cake.



..........................................................................................................................................................................

You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true.
You may have to work for it, however.

Richard Bach



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please Deposit Your 2 Cents!

Protected by Copyscape Original Content Validator